The Houston Masterworks Chorus is an auditioned chorus of dedicated singers who simply love to make beautiful music.
*HMC is waiving auditions through December 2020.
If you would like to send a video, we are accepting video uploads via Zoom, Facetime or Skype.
Upload your video to Dropbox.
Please email Paulo.Gomes@Houstonmasterworks.org for more information.
We believe that choral fulfillment comes from singing challenging and interesting music. HMC performs diverse, musical masterworks, showcases new compositions and talent, and moves people out of the ordinary. We are looking for musicians who are singers, we hold ourselves to the highest musical standards. HMC singers:
- read and interpret a musical score, including notes, dynamics, and other markings;
- sing expressively in tune and with a tone quality appropriate to choral music;
- sing all concerts in every season;
- purchase their own music, pay annual dues of $100 (waived through December 2020), purchase concert attire, if necessary;
- prepare music prior to each Zoom rehearsal
If you are an experienced choral singer, we encourage you to audition. You will:
- vocalize to show your range and intonation;
- sight-read a short choral excerpt with accompaniment;
- prepare a brief excerpt from a choral work if one has been assigned.
- sing one solo, three minutes maximum, in the language of your choice and preferably from an oratorio, art song, or opera repertoire.
*Memorization is not required. We encourage you to select a piece you enjoy singing. There is no need to have something “impressive”— we would rather hear a well-prepared and heartfelt song. Please bring a copy for the accompanist.